Fall is almost here! Temperatures have started lowering, cooler winds have started blowing, and we are ready to welcome the golden sunlight, vibrant leaves, crisp fresh air, sweater season and of course the pumpkin treats!
We tried to put together few of the ways to enjoy this beautiful weather while still treading lightly on the planet.
1) Apple and Pumpkin Picking: This is the first one that comes to our mind when we think of fall. It's not just a fun activity to do but you also bring yummy produce straight from the farm! Do check out your local farms in the area for Apple picking and Pumpkin picking and may be even hayrides! Bonus - Many local farms sell homemade treats, jams, pies and so much more, which are a great alternative to the store bought ones.
2) Nature Walks and Hikes: While it gets too hot in the summer during the day, fall is a great time to go for a hike or a walk in the nature. This may be a great time to explore local parks, forests, and reserves to see the changing foliage. We personally feel that nature paints the best landscapes in the fall! Let’s just remember not to leave any kind of litter especially not any plastic trash.
3) Picnics in sustainable style: Pack a picnic with reusable plates, utensils, and cloth napkins. Avoid taking any store bought chips packets, bottled waters, etc. Taking fresh fruits and vegetables is always a great idea. They are not just good for you, but their scraps are not bad if left there either to get eaten by some chipmunk or get composted in nature’s own way 🙂
4) Energy Efficient Home : While it’s easier to raise the thermostat temperature setting in your home in cold weather, but try to wear an extra layer at home to feel cozy than going for the quickest route. Even a couple of degrees lower on the thermostat helps the planet! Not only will it save energy and reduce your energy bills but also better for your skin. Heater results in dry air which can cause a lot of dryness and itchiness in skin, especially if you have the sensitive type.
5) DIY Decorations: This one is the most fun! Instead of buying new fall decor from the stores, which is usually made with plastic or other non eco materials, try to create your own upcycled decor by collecting stuff from your backyard or neighborhood. Fall leaves are one of the many amazing creations from nature! Collect those bright reds and oranges that have fallen off, put them in a glass container, and admire the natural tapestry of colors! Use some fallen twigs to create your own upcycled fall bouquet!
6) Composting : Fall means fallen leaves everywhere! If you have trees in your garden, you can store those fallen leaves to use them as ‘browns’ for your composting for several months to come. If you do not do composting, this may be a good time to start thinking about it.
7) Attend Local Events : Fall is a busy time for many local town level festivals and events. Try visiting local events especially the ones that focus on sustainability to learn more about good practices and spread the word. Many towns have local farmer markets, sustainability fairs, tree planting days, community clean ups, and more which can be a great way to enjoy, learn and spend time outdoors with family and friends.
8) Outdoor fun : Next time you are meeting a friend, try to meet up for a fall picnic and enjoy the beautiful outdoors. Take your kids to local parks and don’t miss jumping on a pile of dry leaves! 🙂
Do you know of any other eco-friendly way of enjoying the beautiful fall weather? Do share this page with someone you think will like these!